The webLog that had Steve Taylor raving:

"Cory, your blog is so funny. I wish I was as witty as you."

Monday, March 3, 2008

BYU Student Association Elections



I sat down this afternoon to write a scything, witty, and probably a little cynical response to the BYU Student Service Association's election season, but as I looked a bit into it, I must say I was taken aback.

My plan consisted of a series of questions to ask the candidates that would expose their self-aggrandizing efforts to put one more thing on their resume at the expense of general peace of several public areas on campus.

Among others, these are some of the questions I have asked several of the BYUSA candidates:
  • What is your opinion of the current tax system in the US?
  • What is your opinion of the education system today? Should it be reformed?
  • War in Iraq - stay or go?
  • Who are you voting for in the US elections?
  • Are you a democrat or republican
After each, I asked, "So, do any of these questions have anything to do with your candidacy for the presidency of BYUSA?"

For the most part, each looked at me with a wry eye and was convinced that I was not serious. But I was, so they answered. Out of obligation, I must say that I was not impressed by the majority of the responses in most cases, but after it was all said and done (and an inquiry into the election manual written for potential candidates and published by BYUSA), I learned at least two things.

1-) To his credit, Chance (of the Adam/Chance campaign {site} emphasized one point that I thought was worth noting here. The BYUSA is not a student government in the same mold as other college student governments. Chris Giovarelli, the BYUSA Elections Committee Chair, said in an introduction to the "Elections Handbook:"

Created in 1988 with a model centered on student-service rather than student-governance, BYUSA is not a typical university student association. BYUSA’s vision articulates that members of the organization should aim to be leaders centered on Jesus Christ who seek to build Zion communities among students.


In that sense, it is absurd to consider the organization and its elections in terms (or as a scaled down model) of the presidential elections we are facing as a nation. The college is not nor does it purport to be a democracy. With that in mind, I reconsidered each set of initiatives, and surely invite others to follow {BYUSA Election Page}.

Be that as it may, the organization itself has a power structure and politics rule the process. In the end, it is still an attempt for individuals to obtain power over initiatives and policies of a constituency. Considering this perspective, the election process, seemingly farcical given the power structure of the university, is still valid. Therefore, I found it necessary to actually consider carefully who I would vote for.

2) Yet, as I review each candidates initiatives, I increasingly find that I do not care about free food (particularly when I am obligated to accept a six inch ruler to measure my neckline), DJs, parties, and other trinket initiatives that create superficial warm-fuzzies on campus.

The exception to this, in my opinion, is the agenda regarding the voice of BYU students in the local government. On this issue, I support Roman/Johnson {website}. While speaking with him regarding my questions, he emphasized his initiative for voter registration campaigns at BYU in order to create a student voice in the local government.

We are 30 thousand strong and we live under a government whose policy affects how we live. Yet too many are not even registered in our own city. Even if we are transients, we hold the obligation and right to promote and vote for public policy that favors our community. The silent majority never wins because no one cares about what they are not saying. I mention this only in passing.

In summary, the BYUSA is a good organization, but its potential seems to be untapped as it tries to open "new entrances to the library" and create programs that are unreasonable given the scope of the organization and the length of the terms. Hopefully every candidate will read this and consider why there is such disillusionment about the student non-government.

If enough people are interested in the individual responses to the questions, I will post them as I compile them. Let me know.

3 comments:

Cory "شكري" Stephens said...

This is a letter I have sent to the Candidates:

Hello Candidates,

I was able to speak with some of you today regarding your views on issues such as tax reform, the war in Iraq, education reform, and national political party trends. After considering your responses, I have written some thoughts regarding the election and the initiatives.

You are welcome to read what I have posted at emargh.blogspot.com. Your comments are welcome and will be posted uncensored for my readers to consider. Feel free to correct or comment on any of my conclusions.

In addition, those of who who I missed, I would like to talk to you if you have a few minutes to chat. {phone number}

Your constituent,
Cory Stephens

Ted Lee said...

My biggest problem with the BYUSA candidates is how it feels they are lying to you through their teeth (though, this is standard fare for most political campaigns).

I often hear the argument from aforementioned campaigners that if we do not vote, we lose the chance to choose a representative for us on campus. I have even heard candidates tell me that from time to time. Yet they fully understand that they are not that liason between the administration and the student body on important student issues, merely a member of (in my eyes) an overexagerated ward activities committee.

When you press them on serious issues, such as how the new BYU approved housing policy restricting it to a two mile radius around campus is going to affect the already dishonest housing market here in Provo (and cause an economic bubble), they back down and say, "We are a service organization. We don't deal with that kind of stuff."

So which is it? Are you a serious representative or just an elected activities planner? Don't say you're something when you're not. The buzz word this year, I hear, is accountability. Too many people, they tell me, don't know what BYUSA is and thus the disillusionment.

I would propose a counter argument. Instead of shunting the accountability to us students, why not take accountability to yourselves, as candidates, who falsify what you really do and promise ridiculous things in order to get voted into a position that you essentially plan to use to pad your resume?

There have been many grumblings among various circles I associate with about how BYU is treating their students, from parking to housing to departments to book prices and so forth. They feel that theirs is a role of reactive rather than proactive. BYU comes out with a new policy without consulting many students. The students then are forced to adjust to policies which they have had no say or representation in. Do not tell me that these policies are inspired. There is a difference between prophetic edicts in interpreting doctrine and providing direction and spiritual counsel for the church and the decisions dealing with the earthly. Remember that the prophet Joseph Smith started an anti-bank - and it failed. We are not insulated against bad judgement calls or unexpected results from decisions when we leave the realm of the spiritual.

Students don't care if we have doughnuts before devotionals. That's not something that really matters to them. We come to this great university to learn and, as the phrase goes, "Go forth and serve" and be a light unto those around us. How can we learn to become examples, when there is little chance to do so? How can we learn to use the proper channels of democracy to affect the world around us when we live in a campus that treats us as children that cannot govern themselves? How is it that BYU can say they prepare people not only so that they can get a job but to be productive citizens when we ourselves do not have the proper ability to voice our opinion, whether in the newspaper or in student organizations?

BYU could afford to give some transparency and self-goverance, or at least a voice, to the student body. It is a win-win situation. Not only do they provide students with a legitimate channel to voice concerns, but they provide opportunities for students to learn first hand how government can be utilized effectively in bringing about benificial change, as well as the dangers of neglecting community politics or studying issues in choosing good candidates. Students, it seems, are becoming frustrated with the fact that they do deal with a non-government that props itself as a government. Our university paper is nothing more than a glorified ward newsletter, not the public forum of public opinion journalism is taught as here in the university. A student government, even a limited one, would help students feel they have some say and control as to the various policies BYU conjurs up that affect our immediate lives. Instead, it seems BYU doesn't really care about us students, and more on projecting a favorable image to the world, gaining more honors, rankings and accolades. And why not? In a pragmatic stance, there's so many clamouring to get in here, what's the loss of a disgruntled student who decides to pursue his education elsewhere?

But I digress.

Chance said...

I enjoyed your blog, it was a good read, and you have a lot of valid concerns, I would like to talk to you more about all of it sometime! Thanks for your post!

Chance