The webLog that had Steve Taylor raving:

"Cory, your blog is so funny. I wish I was as witty as you."

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Conquistador, Part I: Departure

And now, in the first installment of four, Conquistador


Departure

Thump thump…. Thump thump. Tip… toe… peeer. Nothing. Creeeaaaak. Sliiide. Cloooose the door. A slight breeze. A dark night. Stop! Just for a moment. Someone is coming... wait, no. It’s nobody. Pitter patter pitter patter pitter patter... squiiiish... Stupid mud. Destination. My faithful steed, TAKE ME AWAY!

It was defiance. I had escaped. No one had seen. No one had heard. My Huffy and me, a lone knight rider and his stallion disappearing into the night with nothing but a thick trail of dust following the champion. I looked back just once, only to witness the vanishing castle of my sleeping kin beyond the horizon. They would not have understood. This quest must be done alone.

You see, nothing like this had been done before. No one would have dared to do it. It was too brazen, too daring, too dangerous. Peril lurked around every block, across every street. Bolting across the asphalt sea, home only to barren horseless chariots of steel, I pursued my course. The silence pierced the alley only to be disturbed by the quick click of a ten-speed shifting into high gear. Speeeed. No, no one had ever done this before. Defiance, Rebellion is my name. And in this world, I am King.

There! Off yonder horizon! There awaits my boon. There it lies, in a cold, deserted, artificially lighted keep.

To Be Continued...

Stay tuned for Conquistador, Part II: Treasure

No comments: