The webLog that had Steve Taylor raving:

"Cory, your blog is so funny. I wish I was as witty as you."

Monday, February 25, 2008

Every lamb we lose

Today is the beginning of the Women's Services and Resources annual Body Acceptance Week on the Brigham Young University Provo Campus. To kick off the week, the center is hosting "Mirrorless Monday," whose stated purpose reads:
Women's Services and Resources will host Body Acceptance Week through Friday on campus. The week will begin with "Mirrorless Monday," where the mirrors in the WSC will be covered to encourage students to not rely on appearance for acceptance.
Sadly, however, my personal experience with the commencement events have been bittersweet. As I multi-taskingly considered the various forms of acceptance I have at my disposal upon which to rely for acceptance, I entered the WSC second floor men's room and stopped in my tracks. The initiative to cover all mirrors in the restrooms had, indeed, been thwarted. I slowly moved toward the sinks to confirm the scene. I was right. An entire third of the mirror's protective cover had been carefully untaped, and was now hanging loosly from the wall.

I staggered slightly as I realized the implication. Sure, it could have been a mistake on the Center's part. Maybe they did not use enough tape to carry the weight of the veil. But even as I considered this, my heart sank as a fellow student exited one stall and approached the sink and mirror. He was a peer. He was a student, and a brother. Yet I watched as he looked himself straight in the eye, and walked out.

I don't know if he was the one who was so reliant upon his own image that he removed the veil, but I do know the hurt of knowing that even one lamb out of one-hundred who strays is a tragic loss.

In this Iblog post, my heart goes out to that anonymous brother who could not look away from what everyone else saw. I miss him, and hope he finds his way home. Fortunatley, this forum's purpose is twofold. Not only to call, but to reach out. Therefore, in a spirit of remembrance for the one lost I call out, "Please, BYU Women's Service and Resource center, consider other alternatives that will help each of us look past how we look. The current programs are noble, they do unimaginable good, but they could be better, stronger."

Please consider, for next year the following alternatives to "Mirrorless Monday" which I believe to be fool safe. Lets not loose a single lamb next year.

1) Turn each of us to Vampires. As extensively documented by Joss Whedon, vampires do not have reflections. PROS: No reflection = no reliance on appearance for acceptance; less material cost as large sheets of paper are no longer needed to block reflection. CONS: Vampires have no souls.

2) Veils. Veils have been a successful cure to body image issues ever since the Jahalian era of pre-Islamic Arabia. PROS: Not only will we not judge ourselves, others will be forced to rely on our personality to decide if we are ugly. CONS: Terrorism.

3) Remove Restrooms from Wilk entirely. No Bathrooms = No Mirrors = No body image issues. PROS: Reduced labor costs for Wilkenson Janitorial staff. CONS: Various forms of excretory ailments for a large percentage of BYU students, staff, and administration.

Remembering the Lost... - شكري

For more information on Body Acceptance Week (which, all humor aside, I support) and the Initiatives of the Women's Services and Resource Center, please visit their site: BYU Women's Services and Resource Center.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the heck are you talking about? Nobody's soul is lost if they check their image in the mirror. That's bogus, man.

My friend walked in the men's bathroom and the sign was not up. All he say was a piece of paper half way torn from the mirror. He wondered if they were painting. Hardly anyone even knows what's going on. DON'T just judge them. and DON'T stress yourself to death...or you'll be lost, and we'll all miss you, dear brother.
Now go look yourself in the mirror and give yourself a wink. ;)

Cory "شكري" Stephens said...

Don't take this too seriously. It was a musing of the humor of someone reading the sign and deciding to use the mirrors for what they were installed for.

Cory "شكري" Stephens said...

Crystalee Webb Said on facebook:

Subject: Isn't that a WOMENS services week thing?

Cory, I don't know you, but I was dissapointed in how you judged that boy in the bathroom. Give the guy a break. He probably didn't know about the awareness week.

Now, I want you to go to the mirror, give yourself a wink and a smile and have a good laugh. Looking in the mirror doesn't always have to be a disspointing experience.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that one of the most amusing things about this is the fact that people are actually taking you seriously.

...

Did they miss the vampires?

-Charisse

Ted Lee said...

I am personally against vampires. Not only are they the soulless undead, but they are also hackneyed. They have taken over the entire literary industry, invading every genre. I vote no for vampire. Shame on you for even considering it.

Rather, I propose an alternative solution. It is often said that if our eyes offend us, that we must pluck them out. For the good of the sheep, Cory, we should pluck out the eyes of all those around us lest they offend themselves. I volunteer to be the first eye plucker outer.

Pros: You can't offend yourself in this situation without your eyes.

Cons: Something about the blind leading the blind.

Cory "شكري" Stephens said...

Thank you for adding an *international perspective, Ted Lee!

*Author's Note: Ted Lee is Asian)

Eric James said...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it is a great idea to cover the mirrors. My only frustration with the entire thread of conversation is why does it have to stop with Mondays!? If I had it my way it would be everyday, and not just in the WSC. Not to mention I saw my reflection in the window and the glass cases around campus. Actually, I think we are on to something with the vampire thing... But then I would be self-conscious about the comparative sharpness of my teeth to others, and the high collared cape went out of fashion years ago. Man, why can't a blood-sucking vampire ever catch a break these days!?